Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Clutter

I'm a Virgo. Born August 30. Virgo's are commended on organization. I feel I've been slacking in that department. I'm not really any busier than I was 15-20 years ago other than I am taking classes in the evenings. It could be stress related. I haven't been able to find a full-time office job and it is starting to get me down. I'm gaining weight because I'm not active. Walking the dog every day isn't cutting it. A gym is unaffordable right now.

I used to be able to keep all of my ducks in perfect order but now it seems like my desk at home is always cluttered. It's clean, but it's cluttered. I pick it up, organize it and before I know it, it's cluttered again.

I'm a scrapbooker and have been a Creative Memories consultant for almost 13 years. I enjoy it and am now turning to our digital products which are awesome. Using StoryBook Creator Plus software lets you create digital pages, cards, and bound books that are beautifully done. You can purchase and download additional embellishments and papers (digital) from my website to add interest. There are even Freebies there that you can use. I love it and many of my current clients are giving it a shot, too. Traditional scrapbooking will always be here, but technology is taking over and I want to move with the changing times.

My favorite part of digital scrapbooking is that there is little mess. Well......once I get all of my old photos scanned and organized into Memory Manager, that is. This is what is currently cluttering my desk. I've sorted all of my photos and started scanning one box at a time. I'm really only interested in scanning the Old, Old photos. The photos of my parents and their families and my husband's old family photos. The old sepia and black and whites. At least this is where I want to start. I have more color photos that also apply to being "old", but they will come later.

I've made 3 StoryBooks and several 12x12 prints. My first was an 8x8 book on my Jack Russell Terrier, Sophie, from the time we brought her home until she was 2. It was done will plain, black photos with white mats and white journaling. I love it. The 2nd one I did was for my daughter, Sarah and her fiance, Brian. It is an 8x8 book of them enjoying their week here in California. Disnyeland, Universal Studios, the beach, etc. Brian had never flown anywhere or even been too far out of MN, other than Fargo, ND and Iowa I believe, so this was fun for him. They loved the book and have showed it off to Brian's family and my sister's family in Roseau/Badger.

The 3rd book I created is an 11 x 8.5 landscape style album. It's of our trip to northern MN for Christmas in 2007. I used all of our new Christmas kits (digital). It turned out nice and I sent my sister a copy of the book. A lot of the book features my 11 year old great nephews, Kasey and Brandon.

I've also done Posters, 12x12 Pages for traditional albums, tons of 4x6 cards for business and personal use, and more. You can download a FREE version of this software from my website www.mycmsite.com/janetfortman and check it out. It doesn't include all of the features the Plus version has so be forwarned, but it will give you an idea of how simple it is to use and how creative you can be without even trying. It's so much more economical, too. And best of all....no papers, stickers, and tools to keep on hand!! The downloads range from $3.95 - $9.95 and worth every penny because they can be used over and over again.

Back to organization.....I think another reason for not being so concerned about being organized is that our daughters are now grown and I don't feel like I need to be as organized. EVERYONE tells me I am so organized so maybe my version of organized is different from what someone else perceives. I do have my CM supplies very organized, labeled and priced, but my personal "life" doesn't stay organized as well. Probably because it really isn't necessary as long as it's not out in front of anyone else to see. :-)

My goal for this week is to get through more of the scanning and put away some of these old photos in their Power Sort Boxes once again. I think once that is done I will be able to go through our extra bedroom and clear out a lot of "junk" that I know I'm never going to get back to dealing with. I need an Ebay account I think. I might be able to make some $$ on some of the things I've collected throughout the years. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment